Fall

10/13/15

September 28, 2015

A Week of Learning
 
Did you miss me? I missed you all! This week has been good. I say good, knowing that good doesn't mean tons of huge miracles and grand experiences. I learned a lot about myself, the work, and my companion. We have been struggling a bit lately. Both of us know that we have some things we want to change about ourselves, but neither of us want to admit that it takes time or sometimes difficult experiences. However, we are getting good at taking time for companionship inventories when needed. We are listening more to each other and we are becoming even more patient with each other. I can't imagine what it would be like if we didn't tell each other how we were feeling and what we wanted to fix. I am grateful that Sister Wood is willing to be so honest with me. Personally, I need to work on being more self affirming ( I am far too self critical).
 
Tuesday: "What's a PDay?" Our pday was almost non-existent as we had to cut it short due to district meeting and an exchange. I went to Milton for 24 hours! Sister Stewart (the sister I was on an exchange with) is so much like me! She is a convert of about 3 years (So, I am a baby and she is a toddler), she is from the northwest, loves to just have fun and smile, and we both have many similar experiences.
 
Wednesday: "Every Second is a Lesson" I learned so much on this exchange. I learned that I am capable of having fun and that really I just need to help my companion get out of her shell and have fun with me! I taught a large part of a very intimidating lesson, so clearly I am capable of that too! Sister Stewart helped me see that all these trials in my life are truly blessings. I have been given such great tools for missionary work. That can be intimidating to companions though, so I am now learning how to magnify her strengths. That is much more comforting to me, as I am happier thinking about how I can help someone else rather than myself.
 
Thursday: "Maybe I don't Want to Leave" This was a solid day. I didn't even want to stop exercising or studying! Planning was hard, but I learned a lot about what I can do better. My companion was more open and happy as we tried new things. Everyone we tried to visit was home and enjoyed having us over. I did the dumbest thing too haha. We were trying to meet with this 86 year old women who is a little less active. I knocked on her storm door, but she didn't hear. I decided that I should call her. "Are you home? We were in the neighborhood and would love to share a message!" "Yes, I am" "Oh great! So, actually we are already here and knocked, but guessed you didn't hear it". Being awkward can have it's advantages. We had a lesson that night with this lady, Amanda Warren. She just said things that got to my heart and she was so grateful for us. In that lesson, I learned a lot of personal things and felt like I didn't want to leave. Sadly, that feeling didn't just stay forever. It is there much more often now. My goal is to not be wanting to leave after this first transfer.
 
Friday: "You Could Say I am Emotionally Involved" This day just tore my heart out at every meeting. Our comp study even brought me to tears for a while. I realized that I care so much about what I am saying. I really do believe that the restored gospel of Jesus Christ blesses families. I have seen it and know that to be true. I even got passionate about family history as I have seen how much that has blessed my family and my life personally.
 
Saturday: "A Taste of Christmas" They tell us on the mission that General Conference is like Christmas for missionaries. Women's Conference was the bomb. I have never been a huge fan of womens anything, but as a missionary, it doesn't seem to bother me. This session was exactly what my companion and I needed. If you didn't watch it, or don't have a desire to because it is "Mormon", I urge you to do so anyways. The lessons you can learn are for anyone. It's message is just about how to be a happier person!!! Oh, I almost forgot that I also had a great experience tracting this day too. We found a guy on his porch who really needs to feel the love of God and find direction in his life. I never got his name though... woops.
 
Sunday: "The Lord Knows Me" Relief society changed my life. Overall, the meetings and their topics felt like they were just for me. One thing during relief society really helped me. The teacher showed us this display of what God would have us feel and what Satan would have us feel. Satan makes us feel stress, confusion, rushed, and discouraged. I had been feeling all these things! No wonder it's been hard to feel the spirit! These feelings are not of God. He loves us and wants the best for us. We experience those things though, to be able to know good feelings are truly of God. I have been so much happier and more in tune with the spirit since I learned that. I was feeling stressed at lunch time and took a moment to kneel and pray. That prayer was the most honest and straight forward prayer I have had in a while. I learned so much.
 
Everything has been going well. I am slowly but surely getting the hang of this whole mission thing. Sometimes it is quite overwhelming to remember that this is my life for a whole 18 months. But, then I think about how I will be so used to it that I won't be longing in remembrance of what my life was like before the mission. It is all about what is happening now. Not yesterday, not tomorrow. The Spirit is only telling me what I need to know in the moment, so I cannot get too caught up in all the extra stuff.
 
Maybe next week I will start sending you all something you can do so I am not just ranting about my self growth. Until then...
love you all!

-Sister Peterson