Fall

10/13/15

September 14, 2015

So Much Learning
Thank you all again for your love and support. It makes the difference. I have learned pretty well how to handle my homesickness. I really just don't let myself think about any of it any day outside of Monday. The Gordon B. Hinckley quote was something I used while in college, but I am getting how useful it can be in the field of the mission. That quote of course is "Forget yourself and Go to Work". I sometimes replace forget with lose. I don't forget my personality (though I did for a few days), but I lose my worldly desires. Nothing but those things that we take with us after this life should matter as a missionary. The Lord will provide.
 
So this week! I decided to title every day so that I can a) remember them, and b) reflect on what I learned.

Monday was "Sweaty Homesickness with Love for God's Children". It all hit me pretty hard that day. It was also the second day we went biking. It was so hot and humid and my bike seat was all messed up. We biked to the edge of our area, just to visit someone who wasn't home. I realized though, that this was similar to the savior's atonement. I had sweat, bled (bug bites), and felt pain as I worked for the people I tried to visit.
 
Tuesday was "Be an MTC Missionary for Real People". I realized that I was such a great missionary in the MTC! I miss that. I literally degraded as a missionary when I left. My goal is to be who I was in the MTC. We also had our first district meeting. It was great and the lesson I had forgotten was that every second of my day is planned for real people. It's hard not having met most of them yet, but they are real!
 
Wednesday - "A Miracle from a Broken Tool's Plea". I have decided that I am a very broken tool in the Lord's hand. I begged that He would help me with all the negative feelings I was having. And somewhere in our studies, it just switched. I just was happy again and willing to work. Amazing what He can do!!!
 
Thursday - "20 Years to Accidental Bible Bashing". This is great. We share an area with Elders as well as a car with them. They accidentally tracted (knocked on doors) in our part of the area so they had a referral for us. It was Sister Wood's birthday that day too. So we go to this house, and it happens to be the meeting place for a bunch of Jehovah's Witnesses. Man was that bad. I just wanted to share with them the restoration and where the Book of Mormon came from, but they had all these questions that were about things I didn't know in the Bible!!! Outside of that, it was a great day.
 
Friday - "My Purpose is Miraculous". We taught the referral we got my first day. Her name is Charli. She has so many questions and experiences that remind me of myself when I started investigating. The Spirit was so powerful in our lesson with her. I felt that if she is the only person I get to teach, then I have fulfilled my purpose in being here. The Lord has blessed me to see how important it is that *I* am here.
 
Saturday- "Plan B+Obedience=Blessings (for others)". None of our plan A's worked out, but all of our backups did and it showed how important those are. We have some great prospects now and I feel really  good about it. I can't wait to help this family we met grow closer to the Savior. Also, Sister Wood said this week was amazing because we were obedient missionaries.
 
Sunday - "Do What You Fear" I have learned that my fears are purely of Satan. I knew this, but what I never realized was that usually when I have a fear, it's because God needs me to do that thing!!! I have always just known what I was supposed to do and did it without fear, so this is a new lesson for me.
 
Overall, things have been great, but difficult. That's what a mission is. I am so grateful that the Lord trusts me to help bring His sheep into the fold.
 
Please, keep the letters and emails coming. Letters get me through the week when I occasionally get them. Also, if you have any good ideas for exercises or healthy cheap meals, send them!!!
-Sister Peterson

PS: Ideas for things I need in packages if you feel so inclined..
-pretzels (any junk food really.. Popcorn!!)
-croutons
-mac and cheese
-sensodyne toothpaste
-dove deodorant
-comp books
-sticky notes
- color ink pens
-diet caffeine free Doctor pepper
-CD's (blank or with music/general conference talks)
-Stamps
-binder..
-floss
-scotch tape
-clear packing tape

I keep forgetting about these. Funny story. We have three beds in our apartment from a trio like 6 months ago. I got tired of sleeping on two mattresses and a box spring, so I made a mega bed yesterday. It's fantastic.

Also, that is how busy we were on Friday. It was a really good day.
-Sister Peterson