Fall

11/28/16

November 28, 2016

...And He WILL Lift You Higher

This week was amazing. I am going to try to put it into words for you all. In essence, the Lord did bring us higher after bringing us very low.
 
First, everyone canceled on Monday. I can't even remember what we did to make up for that.
 
Tuesday, we were super busy after our district meeting. I received a tender mercy as the member who drove us there offered to take us to eat and I let her know that I've been wanting Chick-fil-A. She took us there :) That night though, we drove to Atmore for our exchanges with the STL's. We had dinner and taught a Book of Mormon class that night. 
 
The next day was extraordinary though. Sister Housel helped me so much. I have had such a ridiculous fear of personal finding lately. I just froze at the opportunity of going and doing it. Well, I decided to make my exchange purpose "overcoming my fear of finding". I knew it was what the Lord needed me to do. We talked about it a lot and Sister Housel reminded me that I have many skills that I just have forgotten due to Satan. She reminded me that he is the reason I freeze up. If I can get past the initial interaction, I have no problem teaching and getting to know people. The adversary is indeed very aware of the skills we have that can aid in the gathering of Israel. Well, we got out there and did some tracting. It went well. At first I was so awkward, but I realized I could trust her to help. Every interaction was positive and the Spirit just whispered to me "Now, I told you it wouldn't be that bad.. " The rest of the day was just fantastic. Talking to random strangers and asking if we can come back and share our message is easy! 
 
Thanksgiving was the next day and it was fantastic. We had way too much food. It was delicious, but that wasn't the best part of the day. We went to see an investigator who has taken residence in front of the library. While there, we met Sheila. Sheila has been searching the scriptures and trying to absorb all that she can about Christ. We introduced her to the Book of Mormon and she was just so curious! She wanted to know everything about the plan of salvation too! We gave her the book and asked if we could come visit her. She was very willing to meet and talk more!
 
Friday, I had one of the most spiritual experiences of my life. We attended the funeral for a 38 year old member of our ward. The family has been very involved in the stake and it has been really hard on everyone. This was the first funeral I have ever attended though. The spirit there was just awe inspiring. Two doctrines became even more clear that day. First, our Heavenly Father, He knows us personally, and loves us dearly. Second, the plan of salvation is real, and this life is a very short moment in the plan. I think the way we respond to tragedy in this life is much like a child having a tantrum. Since we don't realize that we are only briefly separated, due to our mortal perspective, we get so upset and sad. God comforts us, but He knows that when we get to the other side, it will not have been that bad. 
 
Saturday, my companion was sick. We were able to make it to our morning appointment though. It was a miracle and we both knew that Satan wanted us so badly to cancel. This former investigator brought his fiancee and soon to be step daughter into the lesson and boy are they prepared! Tracy was so excited about the Book of Mormon. She said "I can't wait to read this book!" The whole lesson was just full of the spirit. She reminds me much of where I was before I received the gospel. Most of the rest of the day I got area book stuff, and house cleaning done. I also decorated for Christmas!!! Most importantly, I spent some good time on the lesson we would be teaching in Relief Society.
 
We were still finishing the details of our lesson during Sacrament meeting...oops. I hate being that person. I was quite humbled that the Lord chose us to teach this class though. These women are so strong and so brilliant. They really needed a good lesson to help with their mourning as well. The mother of the recently deceased was sitting right there in the front row. We did our best and the spirit was there. The conversation was of course directed towards the trials they have been facing. Us young 20 somethings did our best to follow the spirit. It goes to show that the Lord is really the one who enables us to do anything. I am so grateful for His divine help and hand in my life. 
 
Miracles do occur my friends. He will always lift us higher. All of our trials are but a small moment. One day I will learn how to bear them with the patience I desire. I love you all and I hope you have a wonderful start to your Christmas season. PLEASE check out the Light the World initiative. The international day of service is this Thursday. We with many others will be participating in this activity! Please join us! 
 
-Sister Peterson