Fall

5/2/16

May 2, 2016

May?

I cannot believe that it is already May. I don't get another one as a missionary! Nor do I get another April though...Having a companion who is going home in a few weeks has really helped me put my mission into perspective. I am almost half way through, and I couldn't be more grateful for another 9 months in the field.
The truth is, I almost didn't get that extra time! I almost had to go home because I wasn't feeling well. Over the last few months, I have been able to realize how much God needs me on my mission. I may not personally see any of the fruits of my labors, but there is a purpose for me here. Even if it is to help my companions to learn valuable life lessons.
 
Well, this week was an interesting one! Tuesday, we went to the Floyd farm for dinner and a lesson. I love going out there! We had a dinner completely made up of food they grew or hunted. I tried duck. It's not my favorite food in the world. Charlie Floyd, told us something so sweet this week! He said that we were what got him off the fence. He has been less active for a while and we gave him the push he needed to get back into church!
 
In other news, this week has been getting hot! We had to bike and walk quite a bit. We have been out trying to find new people to teach a lot lately. That has proved to be a blessing though! We found a new investigator through our own efforts and received many member referrals. I have been praying a lot for the members' missionary opportunities. I pray that they might recognize those who have been prepared as well as that we might. In a small town like Madison, working through the members is going to be the most effective way to work. God answered my prayers! Our members have been having amazing missionary moments and have helped us find a lot of new people to teach! I couldn't be more grateful for them and their desire to help us find the lost sheep. They take that commission very seriously here in Madison.
 
Our most progressing investigator, Samantha, has been reading the Book of Mormon this week! She started our lesson for us by asking questions from her reading. She has been asking questions that are very similar to mine when I started reading. She also has a very similar background with religion to me. It is always so cool to teach those people, because it takes me back and I can truly empathize with them!
 
Yesterday we had fast and testimony meeting. I wasn't going to bear my testimony until I realized that this month is May and will mark my anniversary of membership in the church as well as my 20th birthday! I decided to go up to the stand and bear my testimony of the Savior and his power to change lives. He has truly changed mine. I can't even imagine where I would be without the restored gospel of Christ. I know it couldn't be a very good place with the way I was going. I have felt more joy and love in my life ever since I came to know the Book of Mormon to be true. God loves each of us. He knows us uniquely and perfectly. As Elder Holland said, He loves us with all of His heart, might, mind, and strength.
 
This week I was privileged to feel a lot of that love He has for His children. People that others don't give a chance. He loves all of them. And I am glad to be a tool in His hand to help them know that. Remember the story of the prodigal son, my friends. There is hope for everyone. We should be willing to send the missionaries to anyone as well as share the gospel with whomever ourselves. I love you all! Keep praying, keep studying, and keep changing!
-Sister Peterson