Fall

12/26/16

December 26, 2016

Boy oh Boy! This week was a great one! I feel like we just had a party all week. But, you know, the kind that is totally missionary approved and involves preaching the restored gospel.

It starts with Monday. That morning, I felt really impressed to give some food we had from the Christmas party and a blanket I didn't use to this homeless person we teach in front of the library. It turns out she needed some other things. She was just having such a hard day. I felt impressed again to testify to her that she is a daughter of God and He sees her as such. It felt so good to follow a prompting to serve another daughter of God.
 
On Tuesday we went and saw lots of people with Linda! She even came in to a lesson that she usually stays outside for. She got along just great with this less active couple that would come to church on Sunday! Miracles ;)
 
Wednesday was a BLAST! We drove to Pensacola to go to the Christmas conference. It started out like a normal conference, with training. Sister Richins and I were prayerfully chosen to teach on the baptismal service. It went super well! We role played it that morning just to make sure!

Then the music got started. I choristed all the group stuff, of course. I sang with the choir, which was directed by President Smith. He had sooo much fun directing us. An elder in my district did this really cool version of Lullaby by Billy Joel. He rewrote it to be a lullaby to Mary, the mother of Christ. That was sweet. He also accompanied me while I sang "On a Still and Starry Night". Everyone said that went well, and I did really feel the spirit while singing it. That song has just such a powerful message. 
We then got to eat a good Christmas meal. I had fun getting to know some of the other sisters on this half of the mission, then the skits from all the districts over here. They were all soooooo funny. Sometimes it helps to make light of some of the awkward circumstances of a mission. We did a rendition of the Grinch with missionaries. I was Cindy Lou Who, asking the Grinch why he was taking all the lights from the church the night before conference! The elders did a great job of writing that! Our zone then proceeded to win the minute to win it games. I love this zone so much. They love to have fun, they are hard working, and we all get along just so well.
 
 
Thursday and Friday were more of a missionary grind.

Saturday morning we visited some of our older members and gave snowflakes to our friend Debbie at the nursing home. Then we went to work with the elders on some area organization. After that, the party began! We went to Doug and Linda's for a dinner and some games! We played Uno, which is pretty much my favorite. We all wore our Christmas pajamas to get in the spirit as well :) 

Christmas morning was great. We opened gifts, and then got ready to go to church. The sacrament service was amazing. Hal and Gypsie, our less active members that rarely get Sunday off, came and sat with us. It was tender for me to watch them partake of the sacrament after such a long time. The program was mainly music with small talks from our high council men. (Half of the High Council comes from our ward). There were so many people there though! It was just wonderful. Afterwards, we went to have brunch at the Langi's. I love that family! They are half  Poly and a few of their cousins were there as well. We all skyped, ate, and played games. After being there most of the day, we went and ate with a recent convert/returning member family the elders work with. We played more games and just bonded with our fellow members. It was a great day. I really felt like I was hanging out with my family. That made it so much better.
 
Now here we are, the day after Christmas. If you will recall, the challenge at the end of the Light the World campaign was to take an idea and apply it this year. Don't forget that! We can be better disciples all year round. There is no reason to wait until December to do so! I hope you all will join me in taking on that challenge! 

-Sister Peterson

PS: Here are the pictures my comp takes because my camera is broken...
 
Elder DeLaMare and the Giant Golf Ball Mail box
 
Christmas Eve at the Williams (Doug and Linda)


 
My Christmas day trap.
My comp has it as a tradition in her family. 


 
Christmas at the Langi's
Dinner at the Asberry's